The panels were joined on the inside with a "fillet" of sawdust thickened epoxy. I got better at this procedure as I went along...
Once the fillet was dried the tape was removed and the outside of the join was reinforced with glass tape and epoxy. This is a bit messy and I would recommend the use of plenty of masking tape even if the original instructions did not use it... (Grrr.) Lots of sanding ensued. I don't like sanding. Also when sanding a canoe it acts a lot like a drum and resonates the sound something awful.
Then I added, using epoxy the gunwales and inwales. These were long bits of Fir that I had scarfed together for length. One can never have too many clamps.
Once dried I planned down the fir to make the top surface parallel with the bottom rather than perpendicular to the sides. I like planning. Here I discovered that while wide grain fir may look pretty it is really hard to plane without tear-out and is prone to leaving little splintery bits.